My divorce case says disposed (final) & dismissed for want of prosecution on Harris County website. What does that mean?

Houston, TX |

my wife filed 8-22-12 and I haven't received any paperwork?

Dismissed for want of prosecution=The court has dismissed her petition due to nothing being done on it. There is a certain amount of time that a person is given to proceed on their case, this is set usually by the presiding judge, and if nothing happens, a court will cycle through the case and dismiss it. In effect, this case filed by your wife has been dismissed. The divorce papers she filed are no longer valid. She could refile but she would need to pay the filing fees again.

This answer is provided as a general opinion to a question posted on an internet forum. This does not create in either party the expectation that an attorney-client relationship has been entered into between the original poster and the Law Office of Reid Seino, LLC. Any information provided should not be solely taken as legal advice but in the context of general information. Please seek legal representation for any specific legal questions.

It sounds like the court dismissed the claim due to inactivity. Most states require the pleadings to be served on the defendant within a particular time (e.g., in VA it's 120 days). After that time period runs, the court will clear the open cases by dismissing them. You or your wife would have to re-file the divorce to start the process anew.

I am licensed to practice law in VA, not your state. As such, I may be unaware of certain state laws; therefore, my response may be wrong or irrelevant. Please use my response for informational purposes only and contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

Anneshia Miller Grant
Garrett Law Group, PLC
(757) 422-0195 - 24 Hour Service

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

You are supposed to file the final paperwork and go to court to complete the divorce. You need to refile. Best to lawyer up. I am open Monday and if you have a deal with the spouse, should be inexpensive

Recommended articles about Divorce