My divorce case says disposed (final) & dismissed for want of prosecution on Harris County website. What does that mean?

Asked about 1 year ago - Houston, TX

my wife filed 8-22-12 and I haven't received any paperwork?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Reid A Seino

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Dismissed for want of prosecution=The court has dismissed her petition due to nothing being done on it. There is a certain amount of time that a person is given to proceed on their case, this is set usually by the presiding judge, and if nothing happens, a court will cycle through the case and dismiss it. In effect, this case filed by your wife has been dismissed. The divorce papers she filed are no longer valid. She could refile but she would need to pay the filing fees again.

    This answer is provided as a general opinion to a question posted on an internet forum. This does not create in... more
  2. Anneshia Miller Grant


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It sounds like the court dismissed the claim due to inactivity. Most states require the pleadings to be served on the defendant within a particular time (e.g., in VA it's 120 days). After that time period runs, the court will clear the open cases by dismissing them. You or your wife would have to re-file the divorce to start the process anew.

    I am licensed to practice law in VA, not your state. As such, I may be unaware of certain state laws; therefore, my response may be wrong or irrelevant. Please use my response for informational purposes only and contact a local attorney for legal advice.

    Good luck.

    Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

    Anneshia Miller Grant
    Garrett Law Group, PLC
    (757) 422-0195 - 24 Hour Service

    Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any... more
  3. Michael Glynn Busby Jr.


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You are supposed to file the final paperwork and go to court to complete the divorce. You need to refile. Best to lawyer up. I am open Monday and if you have a deal with the spouse, should be inexpensive

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce Court

Divorce court is where the divorce process takes place. The court may determine matters like alimony, child custody, and property division.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,330 answers this week

2,978 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,330 answers this week

2,978 attorneys answering