My deceased mother is on the deed for condo with my sister. How do I get the deed in just my sister's name or add mine?

Asked 5 months ago - Delray Beach, FL

Do I need an attorney to do this or can I just fill out some forms or a quick claim deed. I need the steps to do to accomplish this. Thank you

1. Samuel David Cooper

7

Answered . First of all, forget the words "Quit Claim Deed" ever existed. It is not what you think it is. Secondly, how to transfer the title property will depend upon how the title was held; i.e., what the language of the deed says. If the deed says "...as joint tenants with rights of survivorship," then the property is already in your sister's name. If the deed says "...as tenants in common" or does not say anything, about how your sister and mother owned the property together, then the deed must be probated to determine who owns your mother's half of the property.

When dealing with property, ALWAYS hire an experienced real estate attorney. ALWAYS. For most people, the property will be the single largest asset and/or investment of their lives. Don't mess around by relying on advice or articles from the internet. Every case is unique. Failing to mention one seemingly small fact could completely alter the advice received. Also, there is a great deal of bad information out there...such as the misunderstanding of a Quit Claim Deed.

2. Marshall C Deason Jr.

Pro

6

Answered . Depending on the type of co-ownership your mother had with your sister, you may not have to do anything. You should have the deed reviewed by an experienced real estate lawyer in your area to determine what, if any, action is necessary.

3. Betty Elaine Jones

5

Answered . I agree with Attorney Deason. You need to take the deed to a probate or estate attorney and ask them to review it and advise you in the steps you need to take, if any. Good luck.

Sincerely,
    B. Elaine Jones, Esq.

4. James S. Tupitza

6

Answered . You will need a lawyer to do this. DO NOT USE A QUIT CLAIM. It will cause title insurance issues when you go to sell. If the property was held as joint tenants, this will be easier. If held as tenants in common, you will need to probate the estate.

5. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

3

Answered . The answer to a complex legal problem like this is not to find the right form, but to find the right attorney. There is no such thing as a quick claim deed. I have seen far too many quit claim deeds prepared by someone who found a form which simply are not enough to transfer an interest in real estate. Hire a professional.

6. Pamela Thea Higer Polani

3

Answered . First of all, my condolences over the loss of your mother. This really may not be an expensive or labor-intensive item for an attorney to do for you, despite your misgivings otherwise. It really depends on how exactly the deed is currently worded. Most attorneys will provide a free consultation; I suggest you take advantage of that and determine what type of deed is currently in place so as to make a more informed decision. The general answers provided herein do not know, without verification, what type of deed it is without review of the same. I highly suggest you ensure you know what type of deed it is to start. Good luck and again, my sympathies.