My daughters name was changed to her legals fathers last name after 14 years? how can i get it changed back

when i took my daughters father to child support court they changed her last name to his name without contacting me. she has been using my maiden last name for the past 14 years and i believe if i telll her now that it has been changed it might make her mad. how do i go about changing it back to my maiden last name

Blountstown, FL -

Attorney Answers (1)

Carolyn Annette Elsey

Carolyn Annette Elsey

Family Law Attorney - Bonney Lake, WA

You can file a petition for a minor name change. Go to your court house and ask at the clerk's office. It's not that hard to do. The father gets notice of the hearing if he's MIA or not in agreement. But under your circumstances, I can't see a court denying your request.

Related Topics

Nondischargeable debt and child support

Child support is a nondischargeable debt in bankruptcy. Back child support will remain even after bankruptcy, regardless of the chapter.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.