My daughter would like to change her last name from her fathers to my last name

Asked over 1 year ago - Greensburg, PA

We have not had contact from her father for five years. She has asked me if she could change her last name to my last name which might I add is my maiden name I'm not married. Since she has no contact with him or his family and only knows mine she would like to share the same name. He also has never supported her financially I tried and domestic relations closed the case because they couldn't find him. Is it possible and if so how do I go about changing it?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Maria Christina Cutillo Teare

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The simple answer is yes, you can petition to change your daughter's last name. However, you need to be certain to address all of the procedural requirements in doing so. You will need to file a name change petition in the county in which you reside. Depending on the county, there may be specific requirements such as fingerprinting or criminal background check ( even for a minor).

    The matter will be schedule for a hearing. Once you have received a hearing date, you will need to publish the notice of the name change hearing so that anyone who opposes can appear. The information you have provided is important as to why you want to have her name changed.

    It is a good idea to contact a local family law attorney who can assist you and ensure that this is a smooth process for you and your daughter.

    Any information contained on this site is not intended to constitute the practice of law in any jurisdiction and... more
  2. Marshall D. Chriswell

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Generally this type of change can be accomplished by filing a petition for name change and having one hearing in the court of common pleas. There are some other requirements, particularly when the person is a minor. An attorney can walk you through this.

    Marshall Chriswell

    This communication does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney/client relationship. If you... more
  3. Cindy Lee Villanella Pieret

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with the other answers and would also like to add that normally you need both parents to agree to change a minors name. Therefore, proof of the lack of contact and support by her father will be required as to why he should not have to give permission. You will also be required to notify him of the court date or, if you do not know where he is and cannot find him, you will have to advertise in the local newspaper and legal journal of his last known address. Contact an experienced attorney in your area to help you. Good luck!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,315 answers this week

3,205 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,315 answers this week

3,205 attorneys answering