My daughter stole 5 credit cards and charged 300.00$.

Asked over 4 years ago - Marysville, WA

She had the potential to steal thousands. I closed all the cards. She is 16, she used the money on a bus ticket to a place 3500 miles from home.

1. Thuong-Tri Nguyen

Answered . Besides the stealing of the credit cards, how is your daughter otherwise? Is your daughter generally a good person who may for some reason think she needs to go to wherever she is trying to get to?

Children sometimes do not think things through very carefully. While a 16 year old likely can know immediate things like not to cross the street when cars are running, they may not be able to understand more complex things such as buying "a bus ticket to a place 3500 miles from home." They may think that they can handle whatever is at the end of the bus ride or that they can walk away from the troubles there if needed.

Siccing the police and the legal system on your daughter may cause more harms than good. If taking the credit cards (presumably yours) is something that your daughter normally does not do, finding a way to resolve whatever the current problem is without getting the legal authorities involved may be the best way in the long run.

On the other hand, if this is your daughter's normal behavior, getting the authorities involved may be good for her.

2. Andrew Daniel Myers

Answered . Your posting does not include a question. So, it is difficult to provide an answer that may be what you are looking for.

The best news is that your daughter is still a juvenile and this will be handled in the juvenile courts where the outcomes generally look towards protecting minors against great harm in their impending adult lives.

Each one of us, when we wake up in the morning, have the potential to do great good or great evil. We are judged by what it is that we actually do. Your daughter's case will be determined based on what it is that is proven in court that she has actually done. What she "could have done" or not have done is not relevant.

I highly reccomend that your family retain an attorney with experience in the juvenile court system.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided in an office consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, with experience in the area of law in which your concern lies.