My daughter of 23 was in a physical fight with her stepmother who's a lawyer.

Greensboro, NC |

What can we do about a complaint regarding codes of ethics. And also verbal abuse by this lawyer in her home.

1. Unless your daughter has a lawyer-client relationship with her stepmother, she doesn't have an ethical complaint.

That is not to say that any misbehavior or criminal activity by a lawyer can't result in disciplinary action, but it usually has to have something to do with the practice of law. In most states I'm familiar with, a lawyer convicted of a felony is automatically disbarred and a lawyer committing a misdemeanor may have to explain his behavior satisfactorily to the Character and Fitness Committee. They usually take a closer look at candidates applying for the bar before they've been admitted and certain things involving dishonesty or moral turpitude (plagarism charges, resume puffery) may be problems.

But back to your daughter, unless she's in the hospital or suffered serious enough injuries for the stepmother to be charged with assault, you're barking up the wrong tree here.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

2. I agree with my colleague. If the stepmother was violent, the answer to her behavior is the same as it would be for anyone else, call the police and file a complaint. In many states, if an attorney is convicted of a certain level of crime, the bar will become involved at that point. But unless and until that occurs, or unless your daughter was a client of the stepmother, there is no basis for an ethics complaint here.

For a free consultation related to medical malpractice, personal injury, workers' compensation, social security disability or nursing home abuse, please contact Lowenthal & Abrams, PC at 1-800-876-5299. I am licensed in Pennsylvania, but members of my firm are licensed in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. This post is not legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in this post. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance. I am licensed to practice law in the state of Pennsylvania.