My daughter just turned one, and her father hasn't made any attempt to contact us. Will he get visitation when we divorce?

Joplin, MO |

He hasn't contacted us in any way since before I had her. He's already had a child with another woman (their daughter is a few months old). He's never supported us in any way and hasn't filed for visitation or anything. I'm filing for divorce this month and I want to know if it's likely he'll get visitation or if I can claim abandonment?

Under MO law, he may be entitled to some form of visitation rights if you seek child support or any sort of support from him. Please check with an attorney who practices in your local area to be sure what the law is and how you can go about protecting yourself and your child. You mention that he has not been supportive or been in contact with you. You should be sure about your property and your goals heading into a divorce before you speak with an attorney or, at he very least, know what you want to do in terms of his ability to have a relationship with your child. This is important and should not be taken on a whim. Please contact an attorney as soon as you can, either on your own or by referral from the MO state bar.

This answer is provided as a general opinion to a question posted on an internet forum. This does not create in either party the expectation that an attorney-client relationship has been entered into between the original poster and the Law Office of Reid Seino, LLC. Any information provided should not be solely taken as legal advice but in the context of general information. Please seek legal representation for any specific legal questions.

All natural parents may enjoy visitation and are encouraged to do so until and unless their parental rights are terminated.

NOTE: The use of the Internet for communications with the firm or this attorney will not establish an attorney-client relationship and messages containing confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent.

Recommended articles about Family law