My daughter just turned one, and her father hasn't made any attempt to contact us. Will he get visitation when we divorce?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Joplin, MO

He hasn't contacted us in any way since before I had her. He's already had a child with another woman (their daughter is a few months old). He's never supported us in any way and hasn't filed for visitation or anything. I'm filing for divorce this month and I want to know if it's likely he'll get visitation or if I can claim abandonment?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . All natural parents may enjoy visitation and are encouraged to do so until and unless their parental rights are terminated.

    NOTE: The use of the Internet for communications with the firm or this attorney will not establish an attorney-... more
  2. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Under MO law, he may be entitled to some form of visitation rights if you seek child support or any sort of support from him. Please check with an attorney who practices in your local area to be sure what the law is and how you can go about protecting yourself and your child. You mention that he has not been supportive or been in contact with you. You should be sure about your property and your goals heading into a divorce before you speak with an attorney or, at he very least, know what you want to do in terms of his ability to have a relationship with your child. This is important and should not be taken on a whim. Please contact an attorney as soon as you can, either on your own or by referral from the MO state bar.

    This answer is provided as a general opinion to a question posted on an internet forum. This does not create in... more

Related Topics

Child custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Visitation rights in child custody agreements

Child visitation refers to non-custodial parents' rights to visit their children. These rights are commonly detailed in a visitation plan.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now