Skip to main content

My daughter is 17 years old and permanently totally disabled. When she turns 18, will she still get child support?

Modesto, CA |

My daughter is 17 years old and permanently totally disabled. When she turns 18 will she keep getting child support from the child support department or does the child support department terminate the child support. What do I file? Thank you!

Attorney Answers 2


If your child is disabled, the child is entitled to ongoing child support, however, this will not happen unless you go to Court.
You should file a Request for Order, and request for child support for a disabled adult child. You use the same case number, and go to the same court. You do not have to open a new case. Best to do this now, while you have plenty of time before the child turns 18.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. **************CAUTION*************** CAUTION*************** CAUTION ****************** CAUTION************ Readers should be cautioned that AVVO cannot be relied on as they have a corrupt and dishonest rating system. AVVO routinely allows "client reviews" to be posted by individuals that are not "real" clients. AVVO does not ensure that the public receives truthful accurate information.

Mark as helpful


I agree with counsel. You'll need to request if from the court for a disabled adult child.

Disclaimer: This email message in no way creates an attorney client relationship between Majeski Law, LLC and the recipient. Responses are general in nature and do not constitute legal advice. You should consult a lawyer regarding any specific legal matter.

Mark as helpful

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics