Skip to main content

My daughter had knee surgery no blood thinners became short of breath

Doniphan, MO |

became short of breath took her to surgeon and her gp twice in same week finally took her to emergency room explained her surgery and that she was short of breath they xrayed lungs said she had pneumonia adimitted her she died the next morning with a massive pulmonary embolism & heart attack I believe they should have caught the pulmonary embolism . She seen 3 doctors, two emt in ambulance plus nurses on duty in emergency room

Attorney Answers 7

  1. I am very sorry for your loss. You should consult a medical malpractice attorney to review all the medical records to determine if the standard of care was breached.

    Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at

  2. My condolences to you and yours. You should definitely consult a medical malpractice attorney in your area. You will have to obtain your daughters records and will likely have to be appointed as administrator of her estate. There is a limited time in which to bring a wrongful death claim, so you should not delay in contacting a malpractice attorney.

    David B. Snyder, Esq.
    6876 Buckley Road
    Syracuse, NY 13212
    Mr. Snyder is licensed to practice in New York and practices Medical Malpractice Plaintiff’s work in Syracuse; he cannot offer legal advice in other states. This answer is meant to be a public service and not an attempt to solicit business. Moreover, my answer cannot be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. Unless I am retained in a matter and have completed a full investigation of the underlying facts and law, I cannot give an opinion on which to rely. Furthermore, unless your matter concerns New York law, I am not licensed to practice or give specific legal advice in your state.

  3. I am not licensed in your state and I am sorry for the horrific ordeal you have been through. Call a local lawyer for evaluation of a potential claim. I do not believe that giving blood thinners following a surgery is the standard of care unless your daughter either had a clotting disorder, artificial valve or had suffered a fracture or some other condition known to lead to clot formation. However, it certainly sounds as though there may have been a delay in diagnosing the problem and a review of your records by a medical malpractice attorney and medical expert will give you some answers. Od less yo.

  4. I think you should definitely have this looked into. My condolences for your loss. In Missouri, the wrongful death statute is 3 years from the date of your daughters passing. You need to have this evaluated by an attorney who handles medical negligence cases. If this happened down in the "bootheel" I have handled many cases down there and know some excellent attorneys who can help. I would also be happy to give you names of people down in your area that are excellent attorneys who could help you.

  5. As others have suggested, you should contact and consult with a local medical malpractice attorney.

  6. A local malpractice lawyer should order her medical records, and send them to an expert to review to ascertain whether there was a breach of the standard of care.

  7. I regularly handle medical malpractice cases in southeast Missouri and I regularly receive referrals from attorneys in the area. Please call me to discuss. Also, when dealing with attorneys her on Avvo,,be sure you look closely at their ratings. Avvo does not prevent attorneys who have been disbarred or disciplined from participating but does indicate this fact in their profiles. Be careful who you choose to represent you.

    This answer is provided as a public service for informational purposes only. Providing this information does not create an attorney-client relationship. As with all legal matters, you should contact an experienced attorney in your geographical area to discuss the law specific to your state. For more information, see

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics