Skip to main content

My daughter got run over by a car and I was told cuz of the liability law she wouldn't see anything im confused plz help

Fairhaven, MA |

my 7 yr old daughter was hit by a car and I need some help I don't no what the law allows

my daughter n son were crossing street with bikes my daughter was almost at the side walk and struck by a fast moving car n pinned between the curb n the drivers car

Attorney Answers 13

  1. Sorry to hear of your daughter's injuries. You need to talk with an attorney. Contact a qualified personal injury attorney.

  2. It sounds like you're being told the accident was not the driver's fault. You should not rely on this unless it is coming from at least 2 experienced personal injury attorneys. Get a legal opinion, and then get another one.

    I've been litigating civil cases in New York for almost fifteen years including personal injury, medical malpractice, business disputes, construction matters and all other types of civil claims. Feel free to check my website: or shoot me an email at None of the answers I give on Avvo are to be taken as legal advice, nor are they intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The information provided is merely general information intended to allow you make an informed decision about your situation. I hope it was helpful.

  3. I am also sorry to hear about your daughter's accident. Please contact a local personal injury attorney for a more in depth evaluation of this situation.

    Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at www. I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

  4. I'm not sure exactly what you have been told is the "liability law" but depending on the facts as to how your daughter was hit or run over will decide whether the driver was responsible. Generally, pedestrians have the right of way and drivers have to yield to them. I would need more information to be able to assess your situation. You should contact an experienced auto personal injury attorney in Massachusetts. I would be happy to talk to you if you would like.

    Please note that listings on Avvo are considered advertising. Furthermore, a response to the question that you posted is NOT intended to establish any attorney-client relationship. This answer is intended to provide you with general information that may assist you in deciding if and how you may like to consider pursuing your legal rights. Please call me directly if you would like to further discuss your situation.

  5. Sometimes the pedestrian gets blamed, and it's termed a "dart out" case. However, retain a personal injury lawyer, as your odds of recovering compensation increase exponentially.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

  6. I'm sorry to hear of this terrible incident. If the driver who struck your daughter was more than 50% negligent, then you have various potential means of financial recovery for your daughter's injuries and damages. Who told you that you would see nothing? I have many questions before I can say much else. I recommend you do not discuss your daughter's injuries with any auto insurance company without consulting with a personal injury attorney first. Your chances of a fair recovery from an insurance company increase greatly with legal representation. This sounds like a serious case requiring thorough documentation as to both liability (fault for the accident) and damages (your daughter's injuries and treatments). Your attorney will obtain all needed medical records, accident/police reports, witness statements, and insurance information, and will negotiate with the insurance company and, if necessary, file suit in court.
    I have litigated many pedestrian injury cases over the last 26 years. Please do not hesitate to call for a consultation.

    Nothing in this email is to be construed as legal advice, or as a solicitation to create an attorney/client relationship.

  7. Sounds like nonesense. Call lawyer, ASAP

    henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

    Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

  8. The specific circumstances surrounding the incident are of critical importance - an early and thorough investigation by an experienced attorney will help answer the questions you have. Also, the police investgation may provide a good starting point regarding reconstruction of the accident, witness statements, etc.

  9. I'm so sorry to hear that your daughter was struck by a car, and I hope that she is making a full recovery.

    Regardless of whether the driver's insurance company is arguing that the driver is not at fault, liability is determined in a court of law, and not by an insurance company. It may be that the driver did absolutely nothing wrong, and that your daughter was simply in a busy street. We have represented persons in your daughter's position - who were struck in the street by a driver - and it may be possible to make an argument that the driver was not acting reasonable under the circumstances.

    You should sit down and explain your situation to an attorney of your own, and do not be pressured into accepting an outcome that the driver's insurance company prefers.

    Christopher Vaughn-Martel is a Massachusetts lawyer with the firm of Vaughn-Martel Law in Boston, Massachusetts. All answers are based on Massachusetts law and the limited facts presented by the questioner. All answers are provided to the general public for educational purposes only and no attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to a question. To schedule a consultation with a lawyer, and obtain advice and review of your specific legal issue, please call us today at 617-357-4898 or visit us at

  10. I don't know who you are talking to but unless your daughter intentionally threw herself in front of the car, I think there is a good possibility she may have a strong case. There are many questions that would need to be answered in order to determine liabilty but in my opinion there is no reason why you shouldn't pursue this case.

  11. Sorry to hear about your daughter and I hope she is doing okay. I am curious as to who told you that the driver would not be responsible for her injuries due to "the liability law". Every case is dependent on its specific facts but based upon what you described I would definitely suggest that you contact an experienced personal injury attorney to look into pursuing this matter.

  12. You should consult with an attorney as soon as possible. Most firms, like mine, will offer free consultations. Considering the circumstances, be sure to choose the law firm carefully and make sure the firm has experienced trial attorneys.

  13. I'm very sorry that your daughter was injured, I hope she is making a quick recovery. From your description, it sounds like the insurance company is denying liability (i.e. taking the position that it was your daughter's fault). This is not uncommon, especially if your daughter was seriously injured. A reputable personal injury attorney admitted in Massachusetts should provide you an in person consultation for no charge to discuss the facts surrounding your daughter's accident, the issues of liability and what her rights and remedies are. I have experience in cases like this and live in your corner of Massachusetts. I would be happy to meet with you and answer any questions you might have. Best of luck.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics