My dad took his ex boss to court for trying to pay him less & taking away a lot in taxes. is this a problem if he has a warrant?

Asked over 2 years ago - Long Beach, CA

my father recently took his ex boss to court for not paying him the right amount for a whole year. his ex boss was some how taking a lot in taxes and not paying him the correct hours on his time card. my dad thinks he might have a warrant for his arrest but is not sure? he got a ticket 3 years ago but never showed up and he finally stop going to court to check on it. will this be a problem for him and what can he do about it?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Nina Yablok

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . It is unlikely that anyone will cross check on a outstanding traffic warrant when he's in civil court. But this is something he should get taken care of because at some point he WILL get caught. He might get a minor speeding ticket and it will become a huge problem.

    He should go to the local traffic court with whatever documentation he still has, even if it's not complete and tell them he wants to arrange to make payments and get it taken care of.

    You don't tug on Superman's cape; you don't spit into the wind; you don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger;... more
  2. Curtis Lamar Harrington Jr

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You used "he" and its a little difficult to follow.

    "taking a lot in taxes" Do you mean deducting alot of taxes from his pay? If so it has to show up on the records. The W-4 enables workers to set thier level of withholding via exemptions.

    Not paying for correct hours has nothing much to do with taxes. An hour cheated is an hour saved regardless of whether taxes are withheld.

    my dad thinks he might have a warrant for his arrest but is not sure? He = your dad or He = your dad's boss?
    What type of ticket? Traffic? Speeding? Misdemeanor?

    1. For the hours, your dad just needs to start keeping a separate record and maybe turn in a copy to make sure he is not cheated.

    2. Ticket? Have an attorney contact the police agency/ court to check him on the computer (he may not want to be arrested if he is wanted and that is why he should have an attorney do it). If it is just an infraction, he owes money. He pays the money and that's it. If its more serious then he may need for the attorney to intercede for him.

    He must keep his own record of his hours at work to avoid being cheated. I can't see any other way to get around that problem.

    Please remember to designate your question's BEST ANSWER.

    Curt Harrington
    (562) 594-9784

    Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal... more
  3. Marilynn Mika Spencer

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . An employer must pay its employees for all hours worked. If your father is still within the statue of limitation (time limit), he can withdraw his court lawsuit and file a claim for unpaid wages, penalties and interest with the California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE). The DLSE is a sub-agency within the California Department of Industrial Relations. The DLSE enforces California's wage and hour laws, including those pertaining to overtime, rest and meal breaks, and more. The link for information on filing a wage claim is here:

    I agree with my colleague who suggested your father go to court and try to clear his warrant. The amount due increases over time due to interest and perhaps penalties, and your father probably will live his life more fully if he doesn't have the warrant hanging over his head.

    *** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the deadline for filing your... more

Related Topics

Small business taxes

Small business taxes include state and federal income taxes and employment taxes, self-employment taxes, and excise taxes.


Business law covers topics such as business structures, common documents, business taxes and finances, insurance, real estate, and government regulations.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,893 answers this week

3,251 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,893 answers this week

3,251 attorneys answering