My Dad recently psssed away. Do all of his premarital assets go to his spouse if there is no will.

Asked over 1 year ago - Hampton, GA

They were married 15 years and have no children together.

1. Loraine M. DiSalvo

Pro

8

Best Answer

Answered . My condolences on your loss. If your dad had his primary residence in Georgia, then his spouse would only receive all of his probate estate assets if he had no children or other descendants. Since you say he was your father, then you and his other descendants would potentially receive shares of his probate estate. However, whether he has any significant probate assets is another question. That answer depends on a number of factors, such as whether he owned assets jointly with rights of survivorship with anyone and what beneficiary designations may exist. Whether an asset is premarital or marital does not matter in Georgia at someone's death. His wife may also be able to make a claim for year's support, and receive more than her standard share of the assets. A good probate attorney should be able to help you figure out what may be in your dad's probate estate and protect any rights you may have.

2. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

6

1

Answered . My condolences to you.

The answer depends on information you left out, including what state your father lived in, how many children he had, and whether any assets were joint. If this is in Georgia the answer also depends on whether a year's support proceeding was filed.

You may possibly have inheritance rights and should promptly talk to a lawyer. If you have additional questions, contact me at 404-768-3509.

3. Darrell Brinnett Reynolds Sr.

4

Answered . More information is needed to properly answer your question. However, if this is a Georgia case you could inherit from your father's estate under certain circumstances. Please feel free to give us a call if you would like to discuss this matter further.

Darrell B. Reynolds,
    Attorney and Counselor at Law
    2385 Lawrenceville Highway, Ste D
    Decatur, Ga. 30033
    404-636-6616

4. Mandy Moyer

1

Answered . So sorry to hear about your loss. Losing a parent is tough, and dealing with the assets after the death of a loved one is no easy task, either.

To answer your question, the distinction of "premarital" or "marital" assets is irrelevant in the state of Georgia for purposes of division upon death.

If your father was living in the state of Georgia at the time of his passing, and you are his biological (or legally adopted) child, then under Georgia law, you are entitled to at least a portion of any assets in his estate after the payment of estate expenses and his debts. His spouse would also be entitled to a portion. (The exact percentage that you and your father's spouse would receive depends on whether you have any brothers or sisters.)

As other contributors have correctly pointed out, it's hard to say how much you're entitled to without knowing what assets your father had, and how those assets were titled. (It's possible to structure ownership so that things pass directly to another person by reason of your death, avoiding probate.)

So, you should consider speaking to a probate attorney who can get a complete picture of what your father owned, and then advise you on what items will pass to your father's estate.