My Dad passed away and prior to his passing, set up his IRA account as a TOD account, naming 3 beneficiaries. He died in Nevada.

Asked over 4 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

Two of the three beneficiaries live in IL. Only one lives in NV. We were told by the bank that we all need to set up "inherited IRA" accounts. One beneficiary in IL went to the same bank and they told him he needed to get a "Letter of Office".

Aren't TOD accounts separate from the will? What is a Letter of Office? Why would the bank require this just to transfer money from one account to another?

Also, what do I need to do to file the will with the Clark County Recorder's office? I have the original copies. Please advise. Thanks for your help!

1. Answered . I am a California attorney so my answer may not be applicable in your state. If it really is just a POD (or death beneficiary designation of some kind) then you should not need any letter, any Court filing or anything else! I suggest you talk to someone else, in a higher position, at the bank! Good luck to you. -John

2. Answered . IRAs are generally not controlled by a will or probate. The bank wants you to subdivide the IRA between beneficiaries so you can each use your actuarial life expectancy to calculate your annual payouts. This is a routine matter that should be handled without probate involvement. Talk to another person at the bank until you get this matter resolved. Be careful as you do not want them to make a mistake and inadvertently make a fully taxable distribution to any of you.
    As to Clark County, you need to retain an experienced estate planning attorney in that area. Once retained he or she can help you with probating the will and resolving the above IRA issues.

Hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below and/or designate my answer as best answer. Thanks.
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law in PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties and services clients in all parts of Pennsylvania. He can be reached at 215-735-2336 or at the email address listed below. He has an AV Preeminent Rating (5.0 out of 5.0) with Martindale-Hubbel, the highest possible rating for legal ability and ethical standards. Also, he has received a 10.0 rating from AVVO and was featured as a 5Star Wealth Manager in the Philadelphia Magazine, November 2009 issue on page 123.
    Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.
    By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.
    Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now