My dad is paying child support to my mom, but I have not been living with her for several months. How do I get my money?

Wallowa, OR |

My dad has faithfully paid child support to my mom since he knew about me. For the past 6+ months I have not been living with my mom, but my dad is still paying her. I have not seen a penny of that money, and my mom does not pay for my necessities. How do I get the money that is owed to me?

If you're a minor - you don't.

If you're over age 18 and under 21, and attending school half-time or more and making satisfactory academic progress, then you can receive support directly. You can appear as a party to a child support case - in fact, you are a necessary party to the case - and request a modification. You can do this either by filing a motion to modify support in your local county circuit court, or as an administrative procedure through the Department of Justice's Child Support Enforcement Division. You can learn more about this process here:

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support