Skip to main content

My dad is a U.S. resident, can I become resident?

Dallas, TX |

My sister is U.S. citizen and my dad is U.S. permanent resident is there any way my dad could make a petition for me? I´m 27 years old and I also have a severe allergic disease and my health gets better every time I visit the U.S. staying in Mexico makes very sick I have proof and suport from my doctors. Can my dad help me get my residence?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. No, the wait would be very long for your preferential category even with your health condition.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois

  2. Your sister can file a petition for you but the wait for your immigrant visa will be very long. If your father becomes a US citizen, he can file a petition for you under the 1st preference (if you are unmarried) or 3rd preference category (if you are married) but the wait for an immigrant visa appointment at the US consulate in Juarez will be very long since both categories are backlogged to 1993. I recommend that you consult with an immigration attorney on your next visit to the US to see what other options may be available to you.

    The answer above is only general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Any answers offered by Ms. Koopman on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  3. If you are not married, he can petition for you. Will take about 8 years. You can seek humanitarian parole if you want to try and come in sooner.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

  4. There are options for you, but they will all take a very long time to lead to residence. You may want to consider obtaining a work authorized status first.

    This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For a free telephone consultation, contact us now at: (512) 215-5235 Austin, (214) 377-4822 Dallas, (713) 242-1783 Houston, (210) 957-8845 San Antonio

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics