My Dad died and left everything to my Mom, Does she have any duty to make sure some is left for me?

Jacksonville, FL |

I am an only child and very close to both. The problem is My Mum is a compulsive shopper and there will be nothing left. In fact she has burned through almost 2 million dollars in 1 year. The savings is is empty and now she has debt

My Dad left enough money so she and I would never have to worry If she uses some self control and quits wasting my Dad's hard earned money

No

Generally, the answer is no. However, if there was no will and you are a minor, you may be entitled to a remainder interest in your father's homestead if it was solely in his name. See section 4(a)(2)(c) of Article X of the Florida Constitution below.
Article X SECTION 4. Homestead; exemptions.--
(a) There shall be exempt from forced sale under process of any court, and no
judgment, decree or execution shall be a lien thereon, except for the payment of
taxes and assessments thereon, obligations contracted for the purchase,
improvement or repair thereof, or obligations contracted for house, field or other
labor performed on the realty, the following property owned by a natural person:
(1) a homestead, if located outside a municipality, to the extent of one hundred
sixty acres of contiguous land and improvements thereon, which shall not be
reduced without the owner's consent by reason of subsequent inclusion in a
municipality; or if located within a municipality, to the extent of one-half acre of
contiguous land, upon which the exemption shall be limited to the residence of
the owner or the owner's family;
(2) personal property to the value of one thousand dollars.
(b) These exemptions shall inure to the surviving spouse or heirs of the owner.
(c) The homestead shall not be subject to devise if the owner is survived by
spouse or minor child, except the homestead may be devised to the owner's
spouse if there be no minor child. The owner of homestead real estate, joined by
the spouse if married, may alienate the homestead by mortgage, sale or gift and,
if married, may by deed transfer the title to an estate by the entirety with the
spouse. If the owner or spouse is incompetent, the method of alienation or
encumbrance shall be as provided by law.

If this information has been helpful, please check the thumbs up tab below. Disclaimer: The above is intended to give you some insight into various legal topics. This information is not intended as legal advice, but rather an attempt to provide helpful topical information. Although I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you about representing you, we have not established an attorney-client relationship. An attorney-client relationship requires me to agree in writing to represent you. Unless that happens, you should not take anything I say or write to be legal advice about your situation or make any decisions based on it. It is very important that you consult a lawyer as to the specific circumstances of your case. If there are more facts that you overlooked and did not include in your initial question and you would like to email me, you may send an email to stevefahlgren@gmail.com. Of course, sending an email to me or my firm does not create an attorney-client relationship. We do not accept client representations by email. We do not always treat unsolicited information received by email from our website as confidential unless you have first confirmed that we do not have a conflict of interest. Please do not send us any information about a potential representation until you communicate with us to find out if we have a conflict of interest with the adversary in your particular case. As a rule, we do not represent institutions against consumers so there is usually not a conflict of interest when it comes to consumer protection but it is always safe to be sure. If you send me an email without checking to ensure there is no conflict, you also agree that our review of your email or any information in it, even if you submitted it in a good faith effort to retain us, and even if you consider it confidential, will not preclude us from representing another client directly adverse to you, even in a matter where that information could and will be used against you. Sorry for all of the legal words but I like to be up front with potential clients and my clients. Best regards, Steven M. Fahlgren Attorney, Arbitrator and Certified Circuit Civil Mediator Law Offices of Steven M. Fahlgren, P.A. Phone: (904) 845-2255 Phone: (407) 852-1711 www.ForTheConsumer.com www.FahlgrenLaw.com www.SteveFahlgren.com