My dad died and didn't leave a will. He was married to my step mother and she is selling everything. Am I entitled to anything?

Asked about 3 years ago - West Palm Beach, FL

She is selling his assets and not giving anything to me. Am I entitled to anything if he didn't have a will but he added her name to his stuff before he died? I live in Florida and I also have a sister. The stepmom has a daughter, but she is not from my dad. Is she entitled to anything?

1. Daniel J. Rose

Answered . If he died without a will, she gets everything. Another reason you should always hire an attorney to prepare a will so that the decdedents desires for his possessions are respected.

2. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

Answered . If husband and wife owned everything jointly-the will would not matter.
    The joint survivor would own everything and you would not be receive inheritance unless stepmother leaves you something.

3. Michael S. Haber

Pro

Answered . When a person dies intestate (without a will), his or her assets are distributed in accordance with a formula mandated by the state. Each state has at least a slightly different approach to intestacy. In New York, the surviving spouse would receive half of the value of the estate plus $50,000 and the children would receive the balance. However, there is an exception in the case of jointly held property and those assets for which there is a named beneficiary. I assume that exception is what you are referring to when you say that your father "added her name to his stuff before he died." Thus, it would appear that most of the assets that comprise the estate would go to your father's wife. I imagine that the personal property, and probably not much else, would be distributed in accordance with the law of intestacy.

Good luck to you.