My dad died 2wks ago had will w/lge estate lft to mom, sis is executor/I am co-exe, sis wont give me copy of will,

Asked 11 months ago - Riverview, FL

The attorney will not respond to my request for a copy, does it have to go to probate? What is the fastest way to get a copy? I don't need any financial info just want to know dad's final wishes regarding his kids

1. Anastatia Quirk Ellis

9

Answered . I am sorry for your loss. As a co-executor then you are entitled to copy, and you may want to tell your sister that fact. An attorney will know this, but you may need to wait a little while longer for the attorney to respond. With a large estate, I am sure that the attorney is very busy.

2. John P Corrigan

8

Answered . If you are a co-executor then you are entitled to copy for sure so press sister to do what is right.....it has only been 2 weeks so ex pe ting lawyer to respond may be a tad impatient....but you are within your right and not enough info to know why sis would have the info but not you given you equal legal status.....attorney will be cognizant of this fact.

3. Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

8

Answered . I'm sorry for your loss, but agree with Attorney Ellis and Corrigan. It is possible that your father used a will substitute, such as a funded Revocable Trust, meaning that the will does not control his assets. Nevertheless, if your sister's attorney is already hiding the ball, I'd strongly urge you to retain an experienced estate lawyer to represent you in this matter. Good luck to you.

4. Dennis Michael Phillips

5

Answered . The will should have been filed with the court by now. Keep an eye on the court docket

Pro

6

Answered . Call the lawyer, or check with the court

6. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

4

Answered . Write a demand letter(certified) and ask for a copy of the will.
    You can also check the probate clerk of Hillsborough County or file
    a caveat to be alerted when the will is filed.
    You will also be entitled to an accounting if you are an heir.
    If you are a co-executor-it appears you will need your own attorney.
    We have an office in Sun City Center and offer free consults like many attorneys on AVVO.