My dad died 2wks ago had will w/lge estate lft to mom, sis is executor/I am co-exe, sis wont give me copy of will,

Asked over 1 year ago - Riverview, FL

The attorney will not respond to my request for a copy, does it have to go to probate? What is the fastest way to get a copy? I don't need any financial info just want to know dad's final wishes regarding his kids

Attorney answers (6)

  1. Anastatia Quirk Ellis

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I am sorry for your loss. As a co-executor then you are entitled to copy, and you may want to tell your sister that fact. An attorney will know this, but you may need to wait a little while longer for the attorney to respond. With a large estate, I am sure that the attorney is very busy.

    Anastatia Quirk Ellis, Esq. is licensed to practice law in Florida, Massachusetts and U.S. Tax Court, This answer... more
  2. John P Corrigan

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you are a co-executor then you are entitled to copy for sure so press sister to do what is has only been 2 weeks so ex pe ting lawyer to respond may be a tad impatient....but you are within your right and not enough info to know why sis would have the info but not you given you equal legal will be cognizant of this fact.

    My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a... more
  3. Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I'm sorry for your loss, but agree with Attorney Ellis and Corrigan. It is possible that your father used a will substitute, such as a funded Revocable Trust, meaning that the will does not control his assets. Nevertheless, if your sister's attorney is already hiding the ball, I'd strongly urge you to retain an experienced estate lawyer to represent you in this matter. Good luck to you.

    This information is presented as a public service. It should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor... more
  4. Dennis Michael Phillips

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The will should have been filed with the court by now. Keep an eye on the court docket

    Please visit our website at and watch our video. It is an eye-opener to most people who have no... more
  5. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Call the lawyer, or check with the court

  6. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Write a demand letter(certified) and ask for a copy of the will.
    You can also check the probate clerk of Hillsborough County or file
    a caveat to be alerted when the will is filed.
    You will also be entitled to an accounting if you are an heir.
    If you are a co-executor-it appears you will need your own attorney.
    We have an office in Sun City Center and offer free consults like many attorneys on AVVO.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of... more

Related Topics


A will is a document outlining your final wishes for your estate. In order to ensure your will is valid and your wishes honored, you must follow certain rules.

Kenneth Albert Vercammen

Will Signing

Will Signing Instructions Power of Attorney, Living Will and Notary duties Rev 12/7/13 INSTRUCTIONS FOR SIGNING WILLS When you hear the front door open, look in the Calendar... more


Probate is the legal process for proving a will valid or invalid, appointing an executor, and distributing estate assets according to the will or state law.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,256 answers this week

3,349 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,256 answers this week

3,349 attorneys answering