My dad and stepmom have both passed away,my step mother was just recently,and they have a storage unit what can i do?

Modesto, CA |
Filed under: Probate Probate court

im not sure if its behind on payments,but there personal things are in this unit,how can i get accsess to this unit and my fathers things.

1. This is really a practical and human compassion question. You have not indicated whether you know whether your dad or stepmom (or both) were the tenant for the unit. I suggest that you take a copy of the death certificate for your father and stepmother, go to the storage unit, ask for the manager and explain the circumstances. Assuming that a probate estate is not going to be opened for them (the storage company will really not have an economically viable claim) the storage manager could make a compassionate decision to let you in to take your family's personal property. The storage company may or may not have policies with regard to decedent's units - that said managers usually have wide discretion to solve problems. Good luck.

This is a general answer only and you should seek the advice of counsel to address facts specific to your circumstances.

2. This is really a practical and human compassion question. You have not indicated whether you know whether your dad or stepmom (or both) were the tenant for the unit. I suggest that you take a copy of the death certificate for your father and stepmother, go to the storage unit, ask for the manager and explain the circumstances. Assuming that a probate estate is not going to be opened for them (the storage company will really not have an economically viable claim) the storage manager could make a compassionate decision to let you in to take your family's personal property. The storage company may or may not have policies with regard to decedent's units - that said managers usually have wide discretion to solve problems. Good luck.

3. I agree with Mr. Hackard's sound advice. Not knowing exactly when your loved ones passed away, the Probate Code requires 40 days after the decedent’s date of death to transfer property. If your family members had no real property and personal property valued under $150,000, there is a simplified process you can use to transfer property without having to appear in court.

Best of luck to you and I am very sorry for your recent losses.

This answer is not intended, and should not be taken, as legal advice on any particular set of facts or circumstances. You should contact an experienced attorney for advice on specific legal problem.

Wills and estates topics