My Current Case Status for Form I-130, IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE says it is on Post Decision Activity.

Perris, CA |

My Current Case Status for Form I-130, IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE says it is on Post Decision Activity. What action do i need to take from here? i have been waiting almost 20 years and i only received a letter in the mail back in January 6, 1997. What must i do to proceed?

Are you the petitioner or beneficiary? Did you update your address? Did you get the approval notice? Is your priority date current? Is beneficiary here in the United States? If so, legal status or illegal status?
Many questions to answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney near you to proceed.

I am the beneficiary. My address has not changed ever since my brother (the petitioner U.S. Citizen) petitioned for me- who lives here in USA, CA. Yes, i received my approval notice January 6, 1997. i checked for current priority date and it shows as 08SEP96. Thank you both for all of your input.

More information may be needed. Did you ever receive an approval letter? Your visa may be current if it has been that long depending on which category the petition falls under. You may want to take the forms to an immigration attorney to look at.

i received the approval letter in the mail back in January 6, 1997. It is Family-Sponsored category F4.

Peter Corrales

Peter Corrales

Your visa may or not be current depending on what country the beneficiary is from. You can check the visa bulletin on the USCIS website to check, or you can call our office. You may also be grandfathered in under 245(i) and eligible to adjust if you have another immediate relative that is a citizen.

Thank you

What classification? I'm going to guess brother/sister.

Your next step should be to talk to an immigration lawyer ... things are quite complicated now days.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Depends on whether the priority date is close to becoming current or is current, where you are living, etc.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Thank you, i went to the site and Immigration Lawyer is not one of their options.

J Charles Ferrari

J Charles Ferrari

AILA is the American Immigration Lawyers Association which means every single one of the attorneys listed there is an immigration attorney.

Thank you

Form I-130 (alien relative) topics