Skip to main content

My cousin received a voucher to select his attorney, at the fee rate that the court gives their court appointed attorneys.

Irving, TX |

Is this possible in Collin County, Texas?

My cousin was indigent at the time he needed a court appointed attorney.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. No. If you qualify for a court appointed attorney in Collin, the court will choose your attorney. And then will bill you for it when the case is over. So you're better off finding an attorney you are comfortable with, who will give you a payment plan you can manage. Most of us offer free consultations. Just start calling around.

    Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.

  2. what is a voucher?

    If this answer was helpful to you or if it was the best answer, please click the buttons that state helpful and best answer. Please understand that all of my answers are for informational purposes only, are not legal advise, and do not create an attorney-client relationship between you and me. I am not your attorney and you are not my client unless we enter into a signed contract. My only legal advise to you is that you should immediately consult with and hire a lawyer and that you should not represent yourself. If you want to more information about personal injury, visit or if you want more information about criminal defense, visit Good luck!

  3. That is in violation of the fair defense act, it sounds like. if your cousin is indigent, then he is to receive a court appointe lawyer. If he is sentenced to probation, they can make restitution, including lawyer fees, a part of his probation.

    Sounds to me like the best thing to do is to hire his own lawyer.

    Cynthia Henley

  4. If the court finds a defendant is only "partially indigent" meaning can pay some of the cost of a lawyer, Texas law permits the judge to require some of the lawyer fee be paid up front or monthly as the case proceeds. However, that is rarely done.

    Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics