My cousin received a voucher to select his attorney, at the fee rate that the court gives their court appointed attorneys.

Asked over 1 year ago - Irving, TX

Is this possible in Collin County, Texas?

My cousin was indigent at the time he needed a court appointed attorney.

1. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

6

Answered . No. If you qualify for a court appointed attorney in Collin, the court will choose your attorney. And then will bill you for it when the case is over. So you're better off finding an attorney you are comfortable with, who will give you a payment plan you can manage. Most of us offer free consultations. Just start calling around.

2. Cynthia Russell Henley

6

Answered . That is in violation of the fair defense act, it sounds like. if your cousin is indigent, then he is to receive a court appointe lawyer. If he is sentenced to probation, they can make restitution, including lawyer fees, a part of his probation.

Sounds to me like the best thing to do is to hire his own lawyer.

Cynthia Henley
    713-222-1220

3. Carmine John Giardino

4

Answered . what is a voucher?

4. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

4

Answered . If the court finds a defendant is only "partially indigent" meaning can pay some of the cost of a lawyer, Texas law permits the judge to require some of the lawyer fee be paid up front or monthly as the case proceeds. However, that is rarely done.