My cousin molested and attempted to rape me 50 yrs ago. Can I prosecute him after all these years?

Asked over 2 years ago - Grand Junction, CO

We lived on a ranch and my cousin molested my brother and I and other family members. He tried to rape me when I was 13 yrs old. I would like to prosecute him after all these years have gone by

1. Stephen Clark Harkess

Pro

Answered . Felony sex crimes against children have no limitation period. However, the District Attorney will have to determine if they believe they can prove the guilt of the offender beyond a reasonable doubt. Rape cases have been proven after many years, but it gets harder the more time passes.

You can and should report the crimes to the police and the District Attorney. Then it will be up to them to determine if they can gather enough evidence for a conviction.

2. Christine C McCall

Pro

Answered . In Colorado, sex offenses against children carry no statute of limitations. However, whether a prosecutor will consider the case provable after all of this time is a separate question. I suggest you make an appointment with an attorney in the juvenile sex crimes unit of your county District Attorney and discuss the state of the evidence that may yet be available.