My cousin is trying to charge us $500.00 for our days at the cabin for per diem, when we spent four nights owing $56.00.

Ames, IA |

We recorded the correct information and he is aware we only spent 4 nights. Is this fraud? What should we do?

I might suggest mediation In a situation such as this, but to be honest, I am not sure this is even worth the effort. Did you have any kind of agreement? Is your cousin really going to pay a filing fee and spend half a day in court to try to sue you for this? Your main consideration might be your family relationship, but it seems clear this is not valued by your cousin.

For more information: www.thomasmoens.com By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.

If you didn't have a contract with him then you owe him nothing from a legal perspective. If it was a oral agreement then it is his word versus your word. I would think that you and your cousin would want to try to resolve this for somewhere in the middle to avoid legal problems as well as relationship problems.