My cousin is trying to charge us $500.00 for our days at the cabin for per diem, when we spent four nights owing $56.00.

Asked 9 months ago - Ames, IA

We recorded the correct information and he is aware we only spent 4 nights. Is this fraud? What should we do?

1. Thomas O. Moens

1

Best Answer

Answered . I might suggest mediation In a situation such as this, but to be honest, I am not sure this is even worth the effort. Did you have any kind of agreement? Is your cousin really going to pay a filing fee and spend half a day in court to try to sue you for this? Your main consideration might be your family relationship, but it seems clear this is not valued by your cousin.

2. Christopher Coppola

1

1

Answered . If you didn't have a contract with him then you owe him nothing from a legal perspective. If it was a oral agreement then it is his word versus your word. I would think that you and your cousin would want to try to resolve this for somewhere in the middle to avoid legal problems as well as relationship problems.