My cousin can't afford to take care of her daughter so she asked me can I have temporary custody of her until she's able to .

Asked 11 months ago - Houston, TX

She says she wanna sign over everything To me concerning her daughter , so what do we need to do to get court orders saying I have custody

1. Michael Glynn Busby Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . YOu should get the other parent to sign off, It would be wise to do a suit affecting the parent child relationship so that you can have an order to set out the rules of the relationship

2. Fran Brochstein

Answered . You live in Harris County so go see a family law attorney. Look on this website & select one.

You can look on my website for 2 that I recommend - www.familylaw4u.com - they are reasonable.

You need to get legal custody or you probably won't be able to take the child to a doctor and/or register the child in school. Also, your cousin will be able to come and pick up the child if she gets mad at you. I would want "legal custody" if I took a child into my home to raise & love.

Thank you for doing this for this baby. Do it legally and the right way - you will be glad that you did. I've received phone calls from people that don't -- then it's too late after you've grown to love and care for the child!

Good luck!