My Court-Appointed Attorney withdrew himself at my Preliminary hearing for a criminal charge, stating I was ineligible.

Asked over 1 year ago - Gaylord, MI

He stated that because I live with my girlfriend, that her income is considered "household Income," therefore making me ineligible. The paperwork I filled out for an Attorney, did not ask if I lived with anyone, nor was I asked how much money my girlfriend makes. What do I do now? I currently have a court-appointed attorney in another county on a civil matter.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. J. Matthew Catchick Jr.


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your girlfriend's income should not matter in determining whether you are eligible for a court-appointed attorney. I would recommend you contact the Court and ask for their guidelines and procedures and criteria concerning one's eligibility for a court-appointed lawyer. I would humbly recommend you be as nice and polite and courteous as possible when comminicating with the Court (even if they are not polite in return). As my mom used to say, "You get more flies with honey than vinegar." I wish you all the best of luck. Warmest regards, Matt Catchick.

  2. John William Toivonen

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In Ingham County the appointment of attorneys is handled by pretrial services. Check with pretrial services or ask the judge's office about the qualifications. If the court determines that you are not eligible for an appointed attorney, hire one right away.

    If you are seeking legal advice, you should contact an attorney. Neither use of the information on this page nor... more
  3. John E. Melton


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . So, where do you stand now? Do you have an attorney? Your girlfriend's income should not count.
    You should be eligible for court appointed counsel if you qualify based on your income alone.
    We practice in Gaylord. If you get tired of dealing with court appointed counsel, feel free to call us at 989-882-1182.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,473 answers this week

2,972 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,473 answers this week

2,972 attorneys answering