My county courts issued a standing order that a garnishment can not be filed without an active judgment what does that mean.

Asked 6 months ago - Snellville, GA

I received a notice from a collector but there is not a judgment for me on my county court records for that collection. What can I do about it is there a way to counter that

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Glen Edward Ashman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You've misunderstood Gwinnett's standing order. All it means is that when and if a garnishment is filed, the creditor at the point they do it must present a fi fa. That has nothing otherwise to do with a creditor contacting you.

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to... more
  2. J. Jeffrey Williams


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . That means they cannot garnish you in that county, unless there is a judgment recorded to another company which debt was purchased by the current collector. However, they may be garnishing you through another county where your bank or employer has a headquarters office.Without telling them anything, write to them and ask for proof they have a judgment against you and what county it is in. If they do not provide this proof, they may be a bunch of crooks. Keep all proof of contact from them, including envelopes, in case you want to sue them later if they violate the FDCPA rules.

    If you found my answer useful, please check it as "helpful" here on Avvo. Answers to questions on Avvo are for... more
  3. Carson Robert Walden

    Contributor Level 4

    Answered . Also, keep a close eye on your bank account and paycheck (your employer should provide clear information if your check is about to be garnished). I have met several clients who indicate they never received notice of a lawsuit or garnishment from a collector, and then the garnishment suddenly hit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,853 answers this week

3,118 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,853 answers this week

3,118 attorneys answering