My county courts issued a standing order that a garnishment can not be filed without an active judgment what does that mean.

Asked 6 months ago - Snellville, GA

I received a notice from a collector but there is not a judgment for me on my county court records for that collection. What can I do about it is there a way to counter that
Thanks.

1. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

2

Answered . You've misunderstood Gwinnett's standing order. All it means is that when and if a garnishment is filed, the creditor at the point they do it must present a fi fa. That has nothing otherwise to do with a creditor contacting you.

2. J. Jeffrey Williams

Pro

1

Answered . That means they cannot garnish you in that county, unless there is a judgment recorded to another company which debt was purchased by the current collector. However, they may be garnishing you through another county where your bank or employer has a headquarters office.Without telling them anything, write to them and ask for proof they have a judgment against you and what county it is in. If they do not provide this proof, they may be a bunch of crooks. Keep all proof of contact from them, including envelopes, in case you want to sue them later if they violate the FDCPA rules.

3. Carson Robert Walden

Answered . Also, keep a close eye on your bank account and paycheck (your employer should provide clear information if your check is about to be garnished). I have met several clients who indicate they never received notice of a lawsuit or garnishment from a collector, and then the garnishment suddenly hit.