My contractor in NYC placed a lien on my co-op. I promptly paid and now he won't file a satisfaction of lien and remove it.

New York, NY |

What can I do to either get my money back or get him to remove this lien. I actually do not think he is licensed by the DCA any more.

1. You could file suit against him and he may be liable for excess damages under the Fair Debt Collection Act.

2. I am sorry to hear about your situation.

You should contact an attorney to discuss your questions as additional information would be helpful. You could try sending him a letter stating you'll sue him if he doesn't remove it.

I wish you the best of luck.

Please remember that I do not normally monitor these questions after I have posted a reply.

Free phone consultation Monday — Thursday 1-5 pm.

Hayley Greenberg

Greenberg & Merola, LLP, Attorneys at Law
    91 N. Franklin Street, Suite 211, Hempstead, NY 11550, (516) 887-1975

521 5th Ave. Ste. 1700, New York, NY 10175, (212) 593-6111

Additional Offices: Queens & Brooklyn

3. You can file a lawsuit to have the lien discharged.

You can also try filing a complaint with DCA. If he has a license, they will likely be able to help you get a quick resolution.

(PS - You should never pay a lienor for a mechanic's lien without simultaneously receiving a lien satisfaction so that you can avoid these types of situations)

The information provided herein is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is created by this answer. You should consult with a local attorney regarding your specific situation to obtain legal advice.

Construction law topics