My condo association wants to get a copy of the lease agreement. In what way would that help to make the condo a better place

Hollywood, FL |

A condo is not a homeless shelter and The board members are no better than any resident. They should only control money not people's life. Their job is to keep the condo clean and safe. Does condo board have right to see a copy of a lease? If they do have that right, what would be the purpose? In what way seeing the lease will make condo safer? I think it is an intrusion of landlord - tenant privacy? By the way, is a lease agreement public record? Am I wrong to see it like that or the association is trying to show me they run the show and they run people' life too.

They want it so that if your landlord is or becomes behind in the payment of assessments they can seize the rent to pay the assessments. The lease is not public record and they have no other way to get it. They probably tried to get it from the landlord and were refused.

Unless the Declaration of Condominium give the association the authority to approve tenants, I would not give them a copy. Ask them to prove they have the authority to see it.

This communication is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship. It is always recommended you consult an attorney in person to discuss your case. The Law Offices of Stage & Associates practices state-wide and represents homeowners and community associations. Please visit our website at www.stagelaw.com.

Landlord-tenant topics