My Condo association is billing my account fee's and not notifying me of what the charges are. Is this legal?

Asked over 1 year ago - Trenton, NJ

Condo dues are paid online or through the mail. When I sign online to pay, it shows a past due balance with no explanation of the charges. If a person pays through the mail, they do not see any charges and are only notified with a letter from the attorney.

1. Richard D. Kelly

Answered . Write a letter and use old fashioned Certified Mail Return Receipt Requested with a copy of the same letter mailed via regular mail. Explain the problem in your letter and ask the Board or Management Company to provide a "printout" on your account.

2. Jody Lynn Peskin

Answered . I don't know what sort of charges or amounts, but I am aware of several companies here in GA that set up on line payment access for their HOA members but require a service charge to be able to pay that way - the service charge goes to pay the on-line compnay for handling the payments,e tc... so folks who send in checks aren't required to pay a service charge. Could this be what you're talking about? If not, and the charges are for some sort of violaiton or late fee, you need to provide more information. Have you contacted the management company or board to ask what the charges or fees are for?