My condition green card was approved, can I travel and how about my permanent green card?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I just received my conditional green card. It was approved after I was convicted of a misdemeanor in California (it is definitely a crime of moral turpitude but qualified under petty offense exception). I was convicted about 2 years before I received my condition green card. So my question is, can I travel internationally with this conditional green card? Also will I have a problem 2 years later, when I try to file I-751? I know I will still have to prove bona fide marriage, but question is specifically about the criminal issue. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

1

Answered . Yes, but make sure to land in LAX as your first entry to the US upon your return. It will assure safe admission as CA follows 9th Circuit precedence on petty theft exceptions.

You will not have any problems removing the conditions on your green card and obtaining the permanent one under the facts.

2. Ralf D. Wiedemann

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . Since you received your conditional green card even with the USCIS's knowledge of the conviction, you should not be denied a permanent green card two years later based on this conviciton. You will have to send in with your I-751 an original court certified copy of the disposition and evidence of compliance with any sentence, even though you provided this already the first time. Ia gree with the other response that you should enter the U.S. in California if you travel abroad.

3. J Charles Ferrari

1

1

Answered . It all depends on whether you revealed those convictions at the time you applied for the conditional card.