My civil lawyer hired a psychologist expert witness who turned out to be incompetent, unethical and dishonest. My bill is $9K.

Mount Pleasant, SC |
Filed under: Professional ethics

My lawyer insists I pay even though he was replaced with another psych expert who I have to pay $12K. Lawyer won't tell me why he picked the first one. His deposition revealed he had lost his license previously, had never done a deposition (at 75 yrs old), couldn't remember anywhere he'd worked, had no publications (except college poetry!). Since he proved to be such a lunatic a year ago, I've been saying I don't want to pay his bill. I'd think my lawyer would have considered it fraud and fought paying him, but NO. Now I'm getting ready to get a settlement check. What can I do?

Why not ask your lawyer to negotiate this bill to a reduced amount?

The information in this website is provided as a general legal reference . The reader is advised to check for changes to current law and to consult with a qualified attorney on any legal issue. The use of this material does not create an attorney-client relationship with the Lovely Law Firm or any of its attorneys. When transmitting information over this website, you understand and agree that Lovely Law Firm will have no duty to keep confidential the information. Because the information posted on this website is prepared for a general audience, without investigation into the facts of each particular case, it is not legal advice: neither Lovely Law Firm or any of its attorneys has an attorney-client relationship with you. The thoughts and commentary about the law contained on this site is provided as a service to the community, and does not constitute solicitation or provision of legal advice. While we endeavor to provide accurate information at this website, we cannot guarantee that the information provided here (or linked to from this site) is accurate, complete, or adequate. We provide this general legal information on an ‘as-is’ basis. We make no warranties and disclaim liability for damages resulting from its use. Legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, so nothing provided at this site, should be used as a substitute for the advice of competent counsel. Finally, using this website or sending email to the host does not create an attorney-client relationship. The material in this website may be considered advertising under applicable rules. If you need to speak to an attorney about your specific legal issue please call the Lovely Law Firm at 843-839-4111

Contact the South Carolina Bar's Resolution of Fee Disputes Board. I think that you can call or email Michelle Dennis at or 803-799-6653, ext. 163. Good luck.

This response is for informational purposes only and is not intended to convey detailed legal advice on any specific issue. Transmission of the information contained in this response is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The Law Office of John A. Jackson only practices law where properly authorized to do so and does not seek to represent anyone in any other jurisdiction. This site does not make use of any secure encryption technology, and any transmissions to the Law Office of John A. Jackson may be intercepted by third-parties. DO NOT send us any information that you regard as privileged or confidential. John A. Jackson is licensed to practice law in the State of South Carolina. You should not act upon the information contained herein without first seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in your area.

Professional ethics topics

Recommended articles about Professional ethics