Skip to main content

My children are already US citizens with US passports. What form should I file to get a certificate of citizenship for them?

Sacramento, CA |

I am an American citizen by birth. My children (12 and 10 years) became US citizens and received their US passports. I want to file a form for a certificate of citizenship. We are not living in the States at the time being. I can't file form n-600k as I don't have physical presence in the US after the age of 14 prior to their birth. Form n-600 wants their information as LPR which they are not any more. I also asked the USCIS about the form n 560 which looked adequate but they said there isn't such a form. What should I do? Thank you.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. How did your children become U.S. citizens, since you indicated they didn't acquire citizenship at birth through you?

  2. If they have US passports, why do you want something from US CIS?

    A passport is the best document to have.

    Leave well enough alone.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  3. U.S. passports is sufficient proof of citizenship. Just wondering why you are seeking the certificate of citizenship?

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

  4. You do not need the certificate to prove their status. Why do you want it? Is there a particular reason?

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics