My child's mother suing me for my parental rights

Asked about 2 years ago - Park Ridge, IL

Shes claiming that I am unfit and that I neglected and abandoned my daughter. She took off with her when she was 3 weeks old and drove her to Las Vegas from Illinois with out saying. Needless to say the courts did not force her to come back. I've paid child support every week direct deposited since day one. My visitation rights are 3rd weekend of April and 3rd weekend of October. Fri,sat,and sun from 2-5. I've been 3-4 times and only able to see her one day out of 3 every time. She has married and is asking me to terminate my rights and child support claiming that I am unfit and allowing her husband to adopt my daughter. I am not against allowing this to happen. I just do not want this claiming I am unfit. I Would like it to be reworded. Am I allowed to contact her lawyer to suggest this?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Termination of parental rights must be on a finding of unfitness of by agreement. If you agree to the adoption of your child by the mother's husband, offer to send a properly executed consent. You would have to appear before a judge, bring a picture ID, and execute the Final and Irrevocable Consent to Adoption. Yes - contact her lawyer with this offer. You would not be able to change the wording if you do not voluntarily relinquish.

  2. Wes Cowell

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, youmay contact her attorney.

  3. Jenette M. Schwemler

    Contributor Level 5


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Before you make this decision, I highly suggest that you talk to an attorney. You don't have to hire one, just consult. You can talk directly to your ex-wife's attorney regarding changes you wish to be made.

    Nothing in this post creates an attorney-client relationship. This post is not meant to serve as legal advice.

Related Topics

Parental rights in child custody

Parental rights includes the rights a parent has in regards to his or her children. Mothers, fathers, and unmarried parents are sometimes treated differently.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

18,200 answers this week

2,419 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

18,200 answers this week

2,419 attorneys answering