My child's mother suing me for my parental rights

Park Ridge, IL |

Shes claiming that I am unfit and that I neglected and abandoned my daughter. She took off with her when she was 3 weeks old and drove her to Las Vegas from Illinois with out saying. Needless to say the courts did not force her to come back. I've paid child support every week direct deposited since day one. My visitation rights are 3rd weekend of April and 3rd weekend of October. Fri,sat,and sun from 2-5. I've been 3-4 times and only able to see her one day out of 3 every time. She has married and is asking me to terminate my rights and child support claiming that I am unfit and allowing her husband to adopt my daughter. I am not against allowing this to happen. I just do not want this claiming I am unfit. I Would like it to be reworded. Am I allowed to contact her lawyer to suggest this?

Termination of parental rights must be on a finding of unfitness of by agreement. If you agree to the adoption of your child by the mother's husband, offer to send a properly executed consent. You would have to appear before a judge, bring a picture ID, and execute the Final and Irrevocable Consent to Adoption. Yes - contact her lawyer with this offer. You would not be able to change the wording if you do not voluntarily relinquish.

Yes, youmay contact her attorney.

Before you make this decision, I highly suggest that you talk to an attorney. You don't have to hire one, just consult. You can talk directly to your ex-wife's attorney regarding changes you wish to be made.

Nothing in this post creates an attorney-client relationship. This post is not meant to serve as legal advice.

Child custody topics