My child's grandfather is a convicted sex offender/child abuser. Can I stop his father from taking him to visit the offender??

Asked over 2 years ago - Frederick, MD

My son's grandfather (his father's father) was recently released from jail after serving under a year in jail for sexually abusing a 5 year old girl (the abuse went on for over a year). He will be able to be home and have visitors for an upcoming holiday and is allowed to be around children supervised. My son's father (we are no longer together and were never married) wants to take him for a visit but I am not comfortable with this and have expressed this time and again. He does not seem to want to respect my wishes. I do not trust my sons father, or his other relatives to be adamant about being sure he is supervised. The father of the abused child no longer sees his children and has remained in the abusers life. Is there anything that I can do to keep him from seeing my 4 year old??

1. Keith R Havens

Pro

Answered . You do not state whether there is a custody and visitation order. if there is one, then you should have a lawyer review it for you to discern whether there is a basis in the order to preclude the access with the grandfather. If there is no basis, then you may wish to file a motion to modify the father's access to prevent visitation around the grandfather.

I strongly suggest that you speak with an attorney.

2. Alec Scott Rose

Answered . You should speak to an experienced family law attorney about obtaining or modifying your custody and visitation orders. The court bases it's orders on the best interests of the child. The court will consider the situation, and has the power to deem certain relatives unsuitable for visitation.

www.alecrose.com