My child's father passed away in November of 2012 is she eligible for social security benefits?

Asked about 1 year ago - Athol, MA

My child's father was incarcerated for most of her life (she is 7). He did have a couple of jobs when he was out but they weren't steady. A few people informed me that she should recieve benefits due to his passing. The social security office said that because he didn't work enough she wasn't entitled to anything. Is that true?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Brian C. Snell

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In order to receive social security benefits, a worker needs to register 40 quarters, ten years of employment. If your daughter's father did not meet that requirement, then she will not be able to claim a benefit.

    *** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and have an office in... more
  2. E. Alexandra Golden

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . According to the Social Security web site, a child can receive survivor's benefits if the worker has credit for one and one-half years of work (6 credits) in the three years just before his or her death. My guess is that the father did not work long enough to qualify.

    E. Alexandra "Sasha" Golden is a Massachusetts lawyer. All answers are based on Massachusetts law. All answers are... more
  3. Celia R Reed

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes it is. You need a certain amount of regular income with social security taken out for your daughter to qualify for benefits.

    Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,858 answers this week

2,915 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,858 answers this week

2,915 attorneys answering