My child's biological father has been absent for over 2 years, she is 27 months old. Can he still get custody of her?

During my pregnancy I found a lot of disturbing information out about my child's father. He threatened to take her from me, pushed me down in a public place. I became very concerned for my safety and my child's. I went to a women's shelter to seek advice and ended up filing 2 injunctions, I had a letter from my OBGYN that was dismissed. After a court hearing I was advised by the judge to begin a paper trail as he had begun stalking me. I went to the Sheriffs department and they told me I had no rights that he was able to bother me whenever he wanted because I was pregnant with his child. So I allowed him to take part in birth but refused to let him take her anywhere privately. After 5 weeks he stopped coming to see her. He is not on the birth certificate and has never paid child support.

Orlando, FL -

Arica Lynn Braaten

Arica Lynn Braaten

Family Law Attorney - Deerfield Beach, FL

He would need to file a paternity action. Right now, he isn't legally recognized as the child's father.

Carin Manders Constantine

Carin Manders Constantine

Family Law Attorney - Palm Harbor, FL

Unless he has filed a Paternity Action in Court and has been named the father and granted time-sharing, he is a stranger to the child and he has no rights. Good luck to you.

Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Child Custody Lawyer - Orlando, FL

This man has no rights to the child unless and until he files a paternity action with the courts. If you are served with these documents, I strongly recommend you consult with a local and experienced family law attorney.

If you are in fear at any point or in any danger, please contact law enforcement right away.

Ophelia Bernal-Mora
Orlando Family Law Attorney

William Charles Rosenfelt

William Charles Rosenfelt

Child Custody Lawyer - Longwood, FL

He could get "time-sharing" and be able to see his child but only if and when he files a paternity petition and established time-sharing. Good luck.