My child of 20+ years recently passed away. is his/her estate responsible for credit card debt and student loans. Phila, PA.

Asked over 1 year ago - Philadelphia, PA

There is a small amount of savings and there is a child.

1. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

3

Answered . It is true that the estate is responsible for debts in the decedent's name only. Credit cards generally speaking survive the death of the card holder. Many student loan agreements forgive the debt in the case of death, but you have to review each carefully.

2. Joseph Michael Pankowski Jr

2

Answered . I'm very sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, the child's estate is responsible for the debts. If, however, the child had a very limited estate, then the creditors will have to take pennies on the dollar. You may wish to consult with an attorney in the jurisdiction where your child resided at the time of the child's death for further information.

3. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

2

Answered . I'm sorry for your loss. Any claims by your child's creditors would have to be made against your child's estate.

4. James P. Frederick

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. I would simply add that there may be exemptions and allowances which would be available to the child or spouse of your child. These may take precedence over creditor claims. In my state, for example, you may be able to shelter $60k or more from any creditor claims. The same is true for administrative expenses of the estate, (such as funeral costs). You should consult with a probate lawyer to make sure that this is handled properly.

I too am very sorry for your loss. It is the kind of pain that a parent should never need to endure.

James Frederick