My child is 16 she and other gals got in trouble for messing up one of her friend's car what can we do?.

Asked 10 months ago - Rockville, MD

the school principal coerced my daughter for writing a confession. The other gal dad wants $$ for damages furthermore the dad is disparaging our daughter's reputation by spreading bad rumors about our child. No bullying took place at shool whatsoever and here the school got involved.What am i to do?

1. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

4

Answered . Hire an attorney. Your daughter either was involved or she wasn't but confessed to it anyway. If your daughter was involved, then her involvement might substantiate what's being said about her. Truth is always an absolute defense in cases of defamation or slander. If your daughter wasn't involved, then you might want to have an attorney write the father a cease and desist letter. You also have this little matter of monetary damages for what was done to the car. Oh, and vandalism or destruction of property could be criminal, too.

The only way to sort through this mess is for you to obtain legal counsel.

2. Richard S Sternberg

Pro

4

Answered . My colleagues are correct. You can either cut this off as early as possible before it gets out of hand, or you can ignore it and hope it blows over. Ignoring it usually makes it worse in Montgomery County, and she might wind up in civil, criminal, and school admin trouble. A competent lawyer now might help.

3. David Raymond Mahood

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with counsel that it is a good idea to have an attorney on your side.