Skip to main content

My child doesn't want to see her father anymore. Is there a certain age a court will honor the childs wishes?

Chippewa Falls, WI |

She doesn't want to see him anymore because he is a alcoholoic and neglects her. In the past 2 years, he has tried to kill himself in front of her 2 times. Yet the court still grants him weekends unsupervised. She has made up excuses from being sick to her friend moving the last 3 visits. Finally she told her counselor that she don't have trust or respect for him and never wants to see him again. What can I do about it?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


The age she gets to decide is 18 until then you can petition the court to change placement. Depending how long ago you were in court, you will likely have to go to mediation first. If you don't come to an agreement in mediation, a guardian ad litem (gal) this is an attorney you will talk to all parties including your daughter and make a recommendation to the court what they think is in the best interest of your daughter. The court ulitmately makes the decision as to what placement he has

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer