My ch. 7 bankruptcy case in California has been dismissed as of today. I am freaking out. How can I reinstate it?

Asked over 2 years ago - Rancho Cucamonga, CA

How much does it cost to reinstate the case/refile the case. I need to do as soon as possible. What is the procedure that I need to follow.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Douglas Gist Farquhar

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree that you need an attiorney now. Bankruptcy is complicated and comes with lots of rules. If you break one then they can dismiss the case. Hire an attorney right away to advise you on the next best course of action if the case has indeed been dismissed.

  2. Walter C Oney Jr

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your attorney should be able to help you. If you don't have an attorney, now you know one of the reasons why people are so strongly advised to hire an attorney before filing bankruptcy. Hire one now.

  3. Dorothy G Bunce


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is unusual for a Chapter 7 to be dismissed so the fact that you haven't stated a reason for the dismissal is disturbing. In the wrong circumstances, a dismissal can preclude someone from being eligible to ever discharge the debts in a subsequent Chapter 7.

    You do need to have an experienced attorney take a look at your file. The sooner the better.

    Hope this perspective helps.

  4. Michael Salanick


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Not enough information has been provided to properly advise you. As mentioned over and over again by the other attorneys, you would be wise to contact a banruptcy lawyer as soon as possible.

    For more information visit:

    NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this... more
  5. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You don't indicate the reason why your bankruptcy case was dismissed.

    A dismissal has serious consequences.

    If you did not comply with bankruptcy requirements, a trustee or creditor can file a motion to dismiss.

    If your bankruptcy case was dismissed at the request of a trustee or creditor, or by the court on its own motion, you as the debtor may be prohibited from filing another bankruptcy case for 180 days (Bankruptcy Code section 109(g)), or be required to file a motion to obtain permission to file another bankruptcy case (Bankruptcy Code section 349).

    You definitely need to consult with an attorney.

    Frank W. Chen is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The information presented here is general in... more

Related Topics


Bankruptcy is a legal way for people or businesses who are no longer capable of paying back their bills to clear these debts and start over.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,709 answers this week

2,971 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,709 answers this week

2,971 attorneys answering