My case to get divorce decree enforced was heard 9 months ago by judge, and still she will not rule on this case.

Asked 5 months ago - Jacksonville, FL

My lawyer no longer takes my calls nor does she communicate with me for many, many months. Also the Judge heard this case to get divorce decree enforced and its been 9 months and still she will not make a ruling on this case to enforce a signed divorce decree.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Paul J Knudsen


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If your attorney will no longer speak to you, go sit down with a new attorney, explain everything in detail and see if they can help you out. A new attorney should be able to explain why it's taking so long, or, if there's no excuse, do something about it. Good luck.

  2. Lorieann Maiorella Cox

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . First, make sure that your attorney actually represents you in the enforcement action. Often, an attorney's representation ends when a final judgment of divorce is entered. If that is the case, it usually will be stated in the lawyer's retainer contract. Second, make sure you are paying your attorney. If your attorney has not been paid for his/her services, then he/she will likely stop representing you. It's unreasonable to keep asking for services and advice if you stopped paying for it. If the attorney filed the motion on your behalf and has not been paid, then he/she may need to withdraw. Third, it is always a good idea to send any inquiries to a non-responsive lawyer in writing. If you do not receive a response within a reasonable timeframe and you have paid the attorney for services he/she has not provided, then you can file a complaint with the Florida Bar and/or seek new counsel.

  3. Elizabeth Ann Wolt

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . If the Judge heard your case under a properly noticed hearing or trial he or she is bound to issue an Order. You should call the JA to check on status. BNe sure to be respectful and polite. Call your local Legal Aide if you cannot afford an attorney. If your current attorney is unde a retainer, he or she is bound to return your calls. If he or she is still the attporney of record also are bound to return your calls. It sounds like there may be more to the story than what is laid out here. I would call your attorney-assuming there has been no Order entered on his ir her withdrawal from your case-and if not, request they call you back and advise that you will be calling the Bar for future handling if your call is not returned. The Fla. bar or your local Bar association for the county you live in may also be able to help direct you. Follow up on the status of the Order ASAP.

    All answers are based on limited facts provided and should not be relied upon unless there is an attorney/client... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce Court

Divorce court is where the divorce process takes place. The court may determine matters like alimony, child custody, and property division.

Avvo Staff

An Overview of Divorce Court Fees

Just as each state has its own requirements to successfully file for divorce, each state also has its own types of fees and rules for when they will be applied. You may find this overview... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,075 answers this week

2,887 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,075 answers this week

2,887 attorneys answering