My case to get divorce decree enforced was heard 9 months ago by judge, and still she will not rule on this case.

Asked 3 months ago - Jacksonville, FL

My lawyer no longer takes my calls nor does she communicate with me for many, many months. Also the Judge heard this case to get divorce decree enforced and its been 9 months and still she will not make a ruling on this case to enforce a signed divorce decree.

1. Paul J Knudsen

Pro

5

1

Answered . If your attorney will no longer speak to you, go sit down with a new attorney, explain everything in detail and see if they can help you out. A new attorney should be able to explain why it's taking so long, or, if there's no excuse, do something about it. Good luck.

2. Lorieann Maiorella Cox

1

1

Answered . First, make sure that your attorney actually represents you in the enforcement action. Often, an attorney's representation ends when a final judgment of divorce is entered. If that is the case, it usually will be stated in the lawyer's retainer contract. Second, make sure you are paying your attorney. If your attorney has not been paid for his/her services, then he/she will likely stop representing you. It's unreasonable to keep asking for services and advice if you stopped paying for it. If the attorney filed the motion on your behalf and has not been paid, then he/she may need to withdraw. Third, it is always a good idea to send any inquiries to a non-responsive lawyer in writing. If you do not receive a response within a reasonable timeframe and you have paid the attorney for services he/she has not provided, then you can file a complaint with the Florida Bar and/or seek new counsel.

3. Elizabeth Ann Wolt

Answered . If the Judge heard your case under a properly noticed hearing or trial he or she is bound to issue an Order. You should call the JA to check on status. BNe sure to be respectful and polite. Call your local Legal Aide if you cannot afford an attorney. If your current attorney is unde a retainer, he or she is bound to return your calls. If he or she is still the attporney of record also are bound to return your calls. It sounds like there may be more to the story than what is laid out here. I would call your attorney-assuming there has been no Order entered on his ir her withdrawal from your case-and if not, request they call you back and advise that you will be calling the Bar for future handling if your call is not returned. The Fla. bar or your local Bar association for the county you live in may also be able to help direct you. Follow up on the status of the Order ASAP.