My car was totaled when it was hit head-on by a drunk driver. But there is no incident report?

Asked 8 months ago - Lake Orion, MI

My car was totaled when it was hit head-on by a drunk driver. The police took away the woman and there was no incident number given to my boyfriend driving the car or the towing company. Now, over a week later, they are saying no incident report was filed. I called both the claims office and sub-office for my county. What are my next steps of action in finding the incident report, if there was one written?

1. Edward Jacob Sternisha

Pro

13

Answered . You should immediately file a claim with your insurance carrier. They will also seek to obtain the report on their own. Although the insurance company will ask for the report number, there is no requirement to have a police report filed in order to file a claim.

That being said, if the police department is telling you that there was no incident report created on a car accident that totaled your vehicle and the other driver was arrested for OWI, I would go directly to the chief of police and demand an answer. If you then get no where, and your insurance company is unable to locate a report, contact a lawyer for help. It would appear to me that something fishy is going on (like the other driver was a police officer, mayor, or other public figure) . However, it is also possible that the report just isn't ready yet. Asking for clarification may solve your issue so ask if there was a report written and if so, when it would be available. Good luck!

2. Gerald R Stahl

Pro

11

Answered . There should be a UD-10 crash report filed at the police department. However, because this is an OWI investigation, they normally will not release that full police report while the criminal case is pending. But the UD-10 will be available. I see this all the time. Your insurance carrier will get the crash report for you. They get them all the time. Otherwise, go the police agency's web site, there should be a link that will allow you to down load it for $3.00. Good Luck!

3. Daniel Nelson Deasy

9

Answered . Drive to and go inside the local law enfrorcement agency and figure this out. There has to be a record. You should also contact the prosecutor's office int he jurisdicition where this collision occured to figure out if charges were brought against the drunk driver.

4. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

9

Answered . Would suggest that you call your carrier and file the claim with the information you have including your efforts to locate a police incident report.

5. Tatiana Kadetskaya

9

Answered . File a claim with your insurance carrier.

Pro

9

Answered . Report it to your insurance company to resolve

7. David Ian Schoen

Pro

8

Answered . If you were injured, in addition to reporting this to your insurance company, immediately consult with an experienced personal injury attorney.

8. Bret A. Schnitzer

3

Answered . If a drunk driver hit your boyfriends car there must be a police report generated. Depending on the City police reports are available immediately or sometimes it takes several weeks. Additionally, some police departments will not release the UD-10 without a FOIA request. Finally, if there is a criminal proceeding associated with the accident further delay in the release sometimes occurs. Your boyfriends insurance company should be notified. If any injuries occurred see a personal injury attorney in Michigan as soon as possible. Here is an interesting link regarding suing drunk drivers who cause injury accidents for your review. http://www.schnitzerlaw.net/blog/?p=944
    Bret

9. C. Donald Briggs III

Pro

2

Answered . Report this to your insurance company and ask the police for the name of the drunk driver's insurance company. Your insurance company will also be interested in getting a copy of the police report.