My car was searched without a warrant when the police raided my friends house no permission given we were there doing laundry

Huntsville, AL |

there was a search warrent for two of my friends and there property but not myself or my vehicle i was in my friends home some distance from the car and was detained for questioning only untill they searched my car without permission and found a small amount of drugs in my purse was this search legal

1. Probably not. If the car was yours and not owned by persons in warrant, the search was probably bad. They can search the yard and property but probably not visitors cars. Get an attorney. If you need help in Huntsville, call me at any time. 256-534-3435. I have handled hundreds of drug cases.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Alabama. Responses are based solely on Alabama law unless stated otherwise.

2. A close case but I would say that the search was invalid. Get an atty and say nothing to the cops. Good advice- the criminals blabbing to the cops on crime shows- morons. For a small amount of drugs in your purse I do not know if the prosecutor will want to go through a suppression hearing and trial. Depends on what drug, the amount and your record, if any. Atty may lobby for dismissal, or perhaps diversion and expungement which I would take if I were you. Put the money you would have to spend toward legal fees into the drug rehab process and move on.