My car was rear ended by a big truck and it totalled my car. now the insurance company wants to pay my car off and give the rest

Asked over 1 year ago - Salt Lake City, UT

to an old friend who's name is on the title. We dont understand why his name is on the title but the loan is in only my name. the credit union said he is holding the title for collateral, i dont understatnd his name is not on the loann. please help me. thanks

Pro

15

Answered . Contact your old friend so this can be resolved expeditiously.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  2. Mark John Caruso

Pro

11

Answered . Most likely the law in Utah deems your friend a co-owner of the car because his name is on the title. I would have expected the insurance company to write just one check with both your names on the check and let you two argue over it. I think that you may have a claim against the insurance company if they write the check exclusively to him and don't also name you as a co-owner on the title. The loan should be paid off by the insurance company, and then the balance should be paid in a single check with both your names on it. (At least that is what would happen in New Mexico....)

3. Michael Lynn Walker

Pro

11

Answered . I concur with my colleagues.

4. Matthew G Koyle

8

Answered . My colleagues are correct. You have not explained how your friend got on the title or spelled out the terms of any agreement between you and the friend, so this answer may be incorrect if based on assumptions about those facts.

What I understand from your inquiry is that your friend is on title but that you and your friend do not dispute that you own the car. If only your friend's name is on the title, the insurance company is doing exactly (or nearly) what they should. If your friend will sign the check over to you or pay you the money, there is no problem. If your use of "old friend" just means you have known him for a long time and he does not want to hand the money over, you could bring a lawsuit to sort the matter out after your friend receives the money.

I am guessing the amount of money is less than $10,000, so you could do it in small claims. The bad news is that if your friend has no money and wastes or uses the money immediately, it will be difficult to collect it from him unless he has a job and does not owe child support.

Best of luck. If you need assistance with this matter, I would be happy to discuss it with you.

5. Michael Shemtoub

9

Answered . I would try to settle this with your friend. They should be willing to hand the money over to you if the car is not theirs. This might save you some time in fighting with the insurance companies. If you can not settle this with your friend you do need to seek legal advise to help settle the case. You have a rights that need to be protected. I would suggest you make an appointment with an attorney in your area who is in accident law.
    Check out my website below and give me a call for a free consultation if you are a California resident 877-427-2752 or you can email me at Michael@Kingofpersonalinjurylaw.com
    www. KingofPersonalInjuryLaw.com
    I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

6. Scott J. Corwin

Pro

3

Answered . I agree with the responding attorneys.