My car was just repossessed I think. I woke up this morning to an empty driveway.

Fort Myers, FL |

I am late on my car payments so can't really take issue with the car being repossessed. My only concern is that the car was repossessed and not stolen. I don't want to report it stolen to the police if it in fact was repossessed. Not sure what I should do? Can I just assume it was repo'd or do I have to call the police to report it stolen? If it was repo'd can I drop the insurance on it. I plan on filing bankruptcy and am in the process of getting all the paperwork together.

The police can tell you if it was repoed. The repo man will check in with the police and advise them.

Hope this perspective helps!

Call the lender and tell them you just want to make sure it was not stolen and can they confirm they took it.

Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted in the States of New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts only and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to those three States. This advice is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation. Facts and laws change and these possible changes will affect the advice provided here. Consult an attorney in your locale before you act on any of this advice. You should not rely on this advice alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney client relationship.

Contact the lender and the local police to determine if it was repossessed, sometimes the repo company will notify the police of its repo activity. If if was repossessed you can drop the insurance.

Florida law requires the repo man to report a repossession to the local police department within 2 hours.

Fla. Stat. 493.6118(1)(u)(5) - Grounds for disciplinary action: Failing to notify the police or sheriff’s department of the jurisdiction in which the repossessed property is recovered within 2 hours after recovery.

I am an attorney who is only licensed in the State of Florida. My answer is general legal advice based upon what I perceive your question to be, and should not be relied upon because every person's facts and circumstances are unique, and because specific laws vary from state to state. To completely evaluate a legal issue requires reviewing and evaluating all relevant facts, applicable laws and other information. My answer does not create an attorney-client relationship, and offered for informational purposes only.