My car was just repossessed I think. I woke up this morning to an empty driveway.

Asked about 3 years ago - Fort Myers, FL

I am late on my car payments so can't really take issue with the car being repossessed. My only concern is that the car was repossessed and not stolen. I don't want to report it stolen to the police if it in fact was repossessed. Not sure what I should do? Can I just assume it was repo'd or do I have to call the police to report it stolen? If it was repo'd can I drop the insurance on it. I plan on filing bankruptcy and am in the process of getting all the paperwork together.

1. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

Best Answer

Answered . The police can tell you if it was repoed. The repo man will check in with the police and advise them.

Hope this perspective helps!

2. Heath A. Denoncourt

Pro

Answered . Contact the lender and the local police to determine if it was repossessed, sometimes the repo company will notify the police of its repo activity. If if was repossessed you can drop the insurance.

3. Dana L. Manner

Answered . Florida law requires the repo man to report a repossession to the local police department within 2 hours.

Fla. Stat. 493.6118(1)(u)(5) - Grounds for disciplinary action: Failing to notify the police or sheriff’s department of the jurisdiction in which the repossessed property is recovered within 2 hours after recovery.

4. Theodore Lyons Araujo

Pro

Answered . Call the lender and tell them you just want to make sure it was not stolen and can they confirm they took it.