My car was involved in a hit and run and is under investigation. How long can the detective keep it in the impound for?

Asked over 4 years ago - California

My car was involved in a hit and run. I have talked to the detective and he wants a statement but I am declining to make one, which an attorney advised me to do. The charge described to me (if a confession should occur) would be a misdeameanor hit and run citation. Or if I choose to let the investigation proceed, the case would be given to the DA to either drop or go forth with charges. I am opting for the latter, but meanwhile my car has been in the impound for 6 days so far and the case was just assigned yesterday. Does the detective have a time limit on how long they can keep an investigation going while a car is in the impound? How long might he be able to hold my car for ransom and is this legal?

1. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

Answered . I suggest that you address these questions to a criminal defense attorney. The attorneys on this site are primarily plaintiffs' personal injury attorneys who work on the civil side of the Courthouse. If I were you, I would continue to remain silent and speak with a criminal defense attorney.

Legal Disclaimer:

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to insure proper advice is received.