My car was hit by a second car who's driver provided an ansurance card but the company did not want to cover the accident, what?

Chicago, IL |

My car was hit by a second car while he backed up from traffic in Norridge (damage 501-1500), went to the police station, made a report but when I called his ansurance they said they are not covering him because he did not make a payment! went back to Norridge police and told them: they said they will call the driver and give him a ticket.

1. This is why you have insurance. In this case, you will use what is known as Uninsured Motorist (UM) coverage.

It will act the same as if this person's carrier was paying for your injuries or property damage. If you only sustained property damage, claim it under the portion of your policy for property damage and pay your deductible.

I suggest if you were hurt that you get medical treatment ASAP and consult with an injury lawyer immediately.

This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

2. if they give the other driver a ticket, you would need to get court date information and appear in court (you don't have to, but it could be beneficial to know if the driver has insurance). if you were injured and the other driver does not have insurance you can open an uninsured claim with your own insurance. for all other questions, including a claim for property damage, you would need to review your own coverage. you also might need a lawyer to resolve this.

3. You can use your own collision coverage for the damage. Or you can pursue a claim against the driver in Small Claims Court.

4. Do not take on the word of an insurance claims adjuster. I'd check with court records to show that the other driver plead guilty to lacking insurance. If so, your insurance carrier may have a policy for uninsured motorist coverage, which would allow you to collect for your injuries. You would also be greatly benefited by hiring an experienced attorney in personal injury.

5. You should report this to your insurance company to get your property damage paid. If you do not have collision coverage, you will need to sue the other driver unless he pays you. You may be able to file in Small Claims Court. If you were injured, you should get an experienced personal injury lawyer to file an Uninsured motorist claim for you with your own insurance company.

6. If you were not injured, turn this in to your own carrier. They will recover from the at-fault driver. That is why you buy insurance.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by providing feedback that the answer was either "helpful" or "best answer" as appropriate. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question.

7. If you weren't injured, turn it over to your insurance company to resolve. If you sustained injuries, retain a local personal injury lawyer to handle it. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to locate a top-rated Avvo attorney with a low contingency fee. Good luck.