Skip to main content

My car insurance company issued me 2 party check for car damage repair.

Los Angeles, CA |

I want to know why they didn't issue me one party check? They ask me to repair car in 10 days, however I am very busy at this time and wants to repair car later on, or may be take car to different body shop.

Attorney Answers 9

  1. There isn't enough information here to answer your question. But - speculating here - the shop you initially went to initially may be entitled to payment for work done to date.

    You can always contact the adjuster and ask. Or, if you were injured, have your lawyer find out.

  2. This is something you should discuss with your insurance company. However, if you sustained injuries due to the negligence of another driver, retain a local personal injury lawyer. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to locate a top-rated Avvo attorney (10) with a LOW contingency fee, less than thirty percent, so you don't get hurt twice. Good luck.

  3. Is your car financed? If so, the finance co is probably also an insured, and the car must be repaired, to protect the lender's security. If you own the car outright, ask the company to reissue. They will want to know if the car is repaired or not, if you are going to continue with them insuring it.

  4. The reason the insurance company issued a check in this manner is that you probably took your vehicle into a repair facility and authorized repairs. If you do not agree to have your car repaired at a particular facility, contact your insurance adjuster and tell him/her that you do not want a check issued in this manner. You should be able to have your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice.

  5. Duh, I think you answered your own question. So you don't delay in getting your car fixed and/or Jair go off spending the money yourself in something else not relating to fixing your car.

  6. Just contact your insurance adjuster and explain to them what you are asking here. If there is any confusion you can straighten it out with them.

  7. Ask them to re-issue the check to your name only.

  8. Who's the other party? ----------------------------------------------

  9. In car accident claims an insurance carrier will often want to confirm a car has been repaired. It is probable that your car was at a body shop when it was inspected. It is possible that you signed an authorization for repair. You need to check with your property damage adjustor to figure out what is going on.

    The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the State of California and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.

Car repairs topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics