My car dealership unexpectedly closed, will I loose my car?

My car dealership was closed after police busted a drug trafficking. They shut down the dealership, seized the on lot vehicles and arrested 6 people, including the owner.

Davenport, FL -

Bryan Andrew Lober

Bryan Andrew Lober

Criminal Defense Attorney - Melbourne, FL

Assuming you owe money on it, someone else may buy the debt if the dealership is truly out of business. I wouldn't expect anyone to come and take your car so long as you keep paying (and keep paying the right person). More likely than not, you may have to start paying someone else. You may well get info in the mail about changes to payment name and address. Keep an eye out. If I were you, to be ultra-conservative, I would call the Florida Bar's Lawyer Referral Service and get the name of an attorney in your area. Most have a free consultation. That's likely all it would take to answer any potential question you may have. The LRS info is as follows:

Phone (800) 342-8011
Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Steven Michael Fahlgren

Steven Michael Fahlgren

Fraud Lawyer - Jacksonville, FL

I agree with the prior answer. One thing I would add would be to send payments by certified mail so that you could prove that you were making them. Make and add to a detailed timeline now while it is fresh in your mind in case a problem arises later. Finally, http://www.naca.net is a great place to find someone good to handle your issue.

Ronald Lee Burdge

Ronald Lee Burdge

Lemon Law Attorney - Dayton, OH

When I first saw your question I thought I knew the dealership but then realized you are in Florida - well, more than one car dealer likes the shady side I guess. It sounds like a buy here pay here operation and now you don't have anyone to pay to? If not, and you just bought the car and paid for it, then you probably don't have anything to worry about. But if you are making payments to the car lot then I'd say talk to a local lemon law or car sales fraud lawyer about how to protect yourself. Sending your car payments to the dealer's address by certified mail is a good idea. I wouldn't go over there if I were you though because the police may still be watching to see who comes by and you don't want to get mixed up in the dealer's extracurricular activities. If your checks come back to you, I'd say just save the money up because you may need to pay it someday if some legitimate outfit buys the financing contracts. And keep your mailed envelopes and checks that are returned to you. But the very first thing you should do? Talk to a local car sales fraud lawyer so you can be sure you follow your state law's steps carefully and accurately. Florida has several and Steve Fahlgren is one of them. You can find some more at www.USLemonLawyers.com if you need to. Good luck.