My business loan has a personal guarantee. Do I file for bankruptcy for myself and for the business as well?

New Milford, NJ |

I possess a small business in NJ and sales have significantly decressed. As a result, I am unable to pay back my creditors and will have to file for bankruptcy. My business loans have a personal guarantee and I am wondering if I will have to file for bankruptcy for myself and the business. Also, I would like to know if this will affect my wife.

If you want to be personally releived of the obligation on the guarantee, you must personally file for bankruptcy and obtain a discharge. Whether you file for the business is more complicated. If the business is operated as a corporation, it will not receive a discharge even in bankruptcy, but it will be able to conduct an orderly liquidation of its assets. A personal bankruptcy will have an effect on your wife, but you need to consult with a local bankruptcy lawyer for a fuller explanation as there are a number of variables.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt